- The temple is not for looks…it is has a holy purpose! The official vision of the YW program is to lead the YW to the temple
- We need to teach our youth about the temple. They need to understand more about the temple then just temple marriage, although that is the greatest blessing. There are other ordinances that prepare and qualify them (Initiatory and the endowment) As they come to the temple to be married, they need to be prepared to make and keep sacred covenants throughout their whole lives.
- Virtue was added because the key to entering the temple is to be worthy
- Personal Progress is a temple preparation coarse
- …The Lord doesn’t want people who have just “Been” to the temple, but he wants people who “GO” to the temple!
- The First Presidency has said: “We want the young people of the Church to be valiant and righteous servants of God, dedicated to living each day so they can go to the temple and receive God’s greatest blessings for them.
- Sister Beck explains: “The way to prepare to make temple covenants is to remember and keep the commitments you’ve already made. Personal Progress is a temple preparation course.”
- Picture of the temple that is sent around Face Book with the quote: "If this isn't your castle, then you're not my prince!" The intent of this is good, in that the YW won't settle for anything less than a temple marriage, BUT this is very misleading to YW who are pretty unfamiliar with the temple. The YW need to know and understand that a temple is NOT a castle! It is SOOOO much more!!! It is not just about accomplishing the goal to get married in the temple, but it is about being ready to be there and knowing they are making sacred and holy covenants for their whole lives.
COME UNTO CHRIST:
Principles to teach:
- Personal Progress is about personal conversion, by coming unto Christ
- This isn’t about adding or fitting in another section into their lives. The Personal Progress program gives meaning and purpose to all they do.
- Personal Progress is not fluff or entertainment. The youth do not need us to sneak up on them with the gospel. They don't need it sugar coated. They are youth of the last days...they can take it undiluted!
- The doctrines of the gospel are explained in the most inspired way to engage the youth, apply it to their everyday lives, and bring them to Christ.
- The Personal Progress program will get the young women IN the scriptures as they study by topic. This may help some of our youth who struggle to read their scriptures straight through.
Example FAITH experience #1: The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Learn about faith from the scriptures and living prophets. Read Hebrews 11; Alma 32:17–43; Ether 12:6–22; and Joseph Smith—History 1:11–20. Read two general conference talks on faith. Exercise your own faith by establishing a habit of prayer in your life. Begin by regularly saying your morning and evening prayers. After three weeks of following this pattern, discuss with a parent or leader what you have learned about faith and how daily personal prayer has strengthened your faith. In your journal express your feelings about faith and prayer.
- The Personal Progress book covers the Atonement! It is so important that the YW begin to understand how the Atonement is personal for them, and how they can apply it in their lives right now for comfort, strength, forgiveness, and power.
- The young women, are BUSY. So busy doing so many good things, they should all have their medallions right now. If they are in a school play or sports team: PROJECT. If they give a talk in Sacrament meeting: EXPERIENCE. They should be getting credit for all that they are doing.
- Sunday is the best time to work on Personal Progress. Schedule it in.
The Family: A Proclamation to the World and
The Living Christ
Principles to teach:
These two documents are the most powerful documents they could have put in the book to testify of Christ and lead them to their most important goal of having a righteous family now and in the future.
The Family Proclamation is applied in almost every single experience and project.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is about family...with the emphasis on the temple.
"The Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement, are known as the Theology of the Family. The Creation of this earth, was the creation of an earth where a family could live. The Fall provided a family. Without the Fall, there would have been no family. The Atonement makes it possible for us to live after this life , with our Father in Heaven, as families...this is what it is all about." Julie B. Beck